Culture Matters is a registered Co-Operative, which aims to promote a progressive political approach to the arts and all other cultural activities.
We believe that culture should be for the many, not the few, and that class-based divisions in society constrain, prevent and spoil our enjoyment of all the cultural activities which we need to enjoy life and be fully human.
We have developed a number of operations to meet our objectives. They include
- a web platform, www.culturematters.org.uk, which publishes creative and critical material such as articles, poems, essays and images
- a publishing operation, which publishes poetry and other material as books and ebooks
- arts awards, which we run in partnership with trade unions. Currently we run a Bread and Roses Poetry Award with Unite, and a Bread and Roses Songwriting and Spoken Word Award with the Communication Workers Union and the Musicians’ Union
- cultural education material. We have developed and delivered a range of material for trade union members, covering a range of issues around politics and culture
- policy development material. We aim to develop and contribute a democratic and socialist perspective to discussions and debates about culture and cultural policy.
Culture Matters Co-operative Ltd
FCA Registration No: 4347
Registered office: 8 Moore Court, Newburn, Newcastle on Tyne NE15 8QE